Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Lessons From the Desert: The Language of Culture

This month at Pasture Living, I'm sharing what I learned during my Israel trip and why I think this series is very relevant to healthy living. I believe being physically healthy is important, but being mentally, psychologically, and spiritually healthy is also extremely important for a fulfilling and joyful life. If you missed any of this series, click here.

Advent Day 18

The Language of Culture


Passage Reading: 1 Corinthians 9:20

We drove through the Bet Netofa Valley to Zippori, an incredible archaeological site nearby Nazareth. There we discussed the language of culture and Jesus' ability as a master teacher to reach everyone in His midst, whether they knew the Text or not. While it is fine for us to hang out with people from the same culture and backgrounds (and it is normal because we all like to find a community who understands us), meeting new people from a different country or culture allows us to open up, build new friendships, understand the backgrounds that shape their lives. Understanding the language of culture is important in closing the gaps/barriers that we may have, be it religion, culture, language, or location.

"To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law." - 1 Corinthians 9:20

Having people together over meals is one of the most powerful tool to build relationships. Food is a universal language and there is something about mealtimes that allow us to open up to each other. The Bible references Jesus eating with people from all walks of life and good things came out of it. Even mealtimes within our own family is usually the fun time of the day. 

What are your experiences with mealtimes?


2 comments:

  1. Very beautiful told. It brought back child hood memories of when I was a child and going to peoples house after church and eating dinner. Your are exactly right having a nice meal and gathering together is a universal language! I enjoyed reading this very much well done =)

    ReplyDelete