Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Lessons From the Desert: God is My Rock and Fortress

This month at Pasture Living, I'm sharing what I learned during my Israel trip and why I think this series is very relevant to healthy living. I believe being physically healthy is important, but being mentally, psychologically, and spiritually healthy is also extremely important for a fulfilling and joyful life. If you missed any of this series, click here.

Advent Day 11


Masada: Herod's Palace



Passage Reading: Psalm 18:2, Psalm 62:1-2


Herod the Great built for himself a palace/fortress called Masada. The fortress was built on top of a plateau, with luxury interiors, food and wine storage places that were enough to feed people for many years, and cistern systems large enough to hold water for 10,000 people for 100 years is just out of this world. It is just evidence of human ingenuity, engineering, and excess. If a person could build such a thing without technology that we have today and was able to care and give provisions to his people this way in the middle of the desert, what more our God, who is the Creator of the universe and human beings.


Solomon Pillars in Timna


Big rocks in the desert provide shelter. When we found big, tall rocks in the desert, we would all squeeze in to fit in the shade it provided. Fortresses, city gates, or fortified walls are huge, strong, and they provided safety to their inhabitants. They were made to hold up and last. So when David wrote about how God was his rock and his fortress, he wasn't kidding. He didn't refer to the small rocks that we find on the street, he's referring to these giant and strong rock formations.


“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” - Psalm 18:2


It is very comforting to know we have a God whom we can take refuge in, who protects us, who comes to our rescue when we need it, to save us, to lead, and guide us. To whom shall I fear?

“Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.” - Psalm 62:1-2


One day, our life will soon pass away. What is it that we're holding on to in our life? Do we find our security in our wealth, health, and power? Or do we find our security and refuge in the God who created us and all things?


No comments:

Post a Comment