Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Treating Fever Naturally
A healthy diet is the most important building block for health. Good food choices along with an active lifestyle can prevent and heal illnesses. There are many things we can do to raise healthy children, boost our immune system, and avoid the common illnesses that plague so many children today. But even with good health, the occasional childhood illness such as fever is inevitable and when illness does strike, I prefer to seek natural alternative remedies that can help to relieve the symptoms of the illness. Our body is designed so remarkably well that it can heal on its own with little or no intervention if we don't work against it. Let' talk about fever.
I prefer illnesses that last shorter instead of drawing them out by hindering the body’s natural defense. When left alone, the body’s naturally elevated body temperature can help destroy the infection-causing virus or bacteria, but if we suppress that defense, those viruses and bacteria can thrive and multiply.
- Use and Consume Ginger. Ginger is known to increase circulation and stimulate perspiration, it flushes out toxins and can help a fever to leave the body faster. You can make ginger tea and drink it or use it for a ginger bath. You can use anywhere from 2-6 Tbsp of ginger or even up to 1/2 a cup (though you should work up the amount slowly if you are not used to it). Just toss the powdered ginger right in the tub as it's filling up and then soak in the tub while sipping on a glass of water. You will definitely notice the warmth, but will also find that fever and chills will most likely decrease after a while.
- Peppermint Essential Oil. Rubbing peppermint essential oil with a carrier oil or diffusing it in a diffuser will help to reduce fever. Read here for guidelines on using essential oils.
- Drink plenty of Liquids and Homemade Broths. It is important to provide nourishment and hydration while supporting the fever instead of working against it.
- Grapefruit. Consuming grapefruit helps reduce fever by boosting our immunity and reducing the burning sensation that we feel when we have fever.
- Ferrum Phosphoricum. A homeopathic remedy that helps to reduce fever naturally. This is the one I have.
What ways have you tried to reduce fever naturally?